Over the last 3 years, we have truly perfected this lentil curry dish. And, it gets better ever time. This time, we added organic black rice instead of basmati rice, it was mind blowing.
Lentils are seeds and belong to legume family. Easy to make and so many varieties of lentils out there. I used organic green lentils as they don’t end up mashy, they stay harder and yet soft once cooked. They are delicious and super healthy. Lentils contains 25% of protein which makes excellent meat alternative. Packed with vitamin B, zinc, magnesium and potassium. Also, they are a full of fibre, acts as prebiotics and very much good for your gut health. And, spinach which is a full of minerals and vitamins and fibre which benefits your digestion. You will never feel bloated again.
So see what you need for this hearty, healthy curry dish!
Wild Vegan Lentil Curry
Ingredients: ( 2-4 people eating )
1 cup French lentils
1 cup of organic black rice – buy whole foods
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
5 grind cardamons
1 teaspoon Ras el Hanout spice
2 fresh red chillies ( or 1 if you like less spicy)
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk and 1 coconut cream
3 cups of spinach
Himalayan Salt to taste + freshly ground black pepper to your taste
1 tomato + 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon of dry coriander + Fresh coriander for garnish
250g coconut cream
Pinch of Himalayan grind seas salt
1/2 lime, juiced
- Firstly, prepare your cucumber raita. Grated cucumber, squeezed juice out ( but keep the juice and add to your glass of water to drink – refreshing! ) then, add a bit of salt, coconut cream, squeeze a lime juice, stir all together and put in the fridge. Could be done 2-3hours before you want to serve curry.
- Chop onion in small cubes, ginger, red chilli, garlics, tomato and let it cook in low to medium heat on coconut oil in the big saucepan for about 5-7 minutes until the onion and garlics until they start to sweat moisture, begins to soften and turn translucent. I use Le Creuset Cast iron round casserole dish for better flavours.
- Rinse the lentils in cold water, and add lentils with spices – cardamon ( use pestle and mortar ), ras el hanout, dry coriander and cook for about another 5 minutes in medium heat.
- Add coconut milk, coconut cream and rinse both with a bit of water to add extra liquid. Don’t forget to add Himalayan sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Once boiled, turn into more low heat and, check in 30 minutes. Make sure you check at least twice to stir. Sometimes, might need a tiny bit of water to add especially once lentils start being almost cooked. You don’t want them to start sticking on the bottom of the pan. So keep checking and stir few times. Check for the flavours and see if there is anything you might want to add – spices wise. Normally, I don’t but it depends how spicy you like esp. if you cooking new dish 1st time.
- Meantime, cook black rice in the pan. It is a tough guy so allow at least 25 minutes to cook. I used a 1 cup of rice, then 1 1/2 cups of water to cook. Once boiling, turn into low heat. If you have induction, n. 4. is perfect number to cook. Try if is cooked before turning off. Once ready, turn it off and, leave the lid on to keep it warm.
- After about 45mins, check curry, how are the lentils? I always try food when is cooked. Once it is, add fresh clean spinach and stir few times. As soon as spinach is soft, once dissolves into the curry. Don’t overcooked spinach. It only takes 2-3 minutes to soften the spinach. Also add, fresh coriander leaves and let it for another 1 minute. Then, turn the curry off and you are ready to serve your dish.
- Serve your curry hot, with organic black rice, cucumber raita and served a fresh coriander leaves. I do like a touch of ground black pepper but you can skip that.
Most our ingredients have been bought in buywholefoodsonline.co.uk.
Enjoy your delicious and hearty Wild Vegan Lentil Curry.
Till next time,